Brian's Newsletter - 13th May
Big tournament at Dorking tennis club has started. Don't forget to get your matches played and if you lose in the 1st round there is a plate event in some of the main events. You can keep up with results and draws by clicking on the link below...
LTA - Tennis for Britain - dorking club tournament 2022 - Draws
Remember to email your results to firstname.lastname@example.org
Club Open Afternoon this Saturday 1-4pm where we open our doors to welcome new members into the club. Courts will be out of action and no club social as the coaching team, volunteers and hierarchy woo the prospective new members. We are still looking for volunteers to join in so get your names up on the volunteer sheets in the clubhouse... Why not give something back to the club
Great buzz around the club in the evenings with a mixture of social play, club matches, coaching and players enjoying a drink al fresco. A great time of year to be playing tennis...
Ladies tournament this Friday morning. Jane Askam and her pop up shop of ladies clothes will be attending so bring your purse and treat yourself to some new gear!
A good week for our teams....
Well done to our U11 boys last weekend with wins v Oxshott & Reigate.
Well done to our D&L mixed 1st team beating Redhill
Well done to our Mens 3 beating Banstead
Remember club policy on tennis attire... Pretty relaxed with general sports wear but no Tarzan or Jane impressions!! Regardless of temperature all chests must remain covered!
Thought of the Week
Coaching Tip of the Week
When returning serve work out your best options...
When serve is weaker:
- Step in and attack the return.
- Risk a disguised drop shot.
- Step in and attack and approach the net
When serve is stronger:
- Hold your position around baseline but reduce your take back as less time.
- Stand further back to allow more time for a bigger swing.
- Chip and charge to net.
- Block your return. More passive but gives you time to recover.
Tennis Chair Will's Joke of the Week
" Walking down the road last night, I passed an apple pie, an ice cream, sundae, and a cheesecake....
I thought the streets looked strangely deserted..."
Cocktail of the Week
Rome Masters at the moment... Here's a few interesting facts about Rome:
- Rome is the only city in the world with another city in it.. Vatican City!
- Modern Rome has 280 fountains and more than 900 churches.
- Nearly 700,000 euros worth of coins are tossed into Rome’s Trevi Fountain each year. The proceeds are donated to Caritas to help those in need.
- Rome became the capital city of unified Italy in 1870, taking the title from Florence.
- St Peter’s basilica inside Vatican City is the largest church ever constructed.
- Rome's twin city is Paris...
So hopefully we will see you down at the courts this week. Always say hello as you walk past. Sending big hug to anyone having a tougher time or who just likes a hug!
Have a good week...
Dorking Lawn Tennis & Squash Club